Thursday, May 27, 2010

Huntsman Cancer Institute

Today I went down to the Huntsman Cancer Institute to get the cancer under my eye taken off. I was feeling a little nervous last night, but was hopeful that things would go smoothly.
I got a little lost once I was up by the University Hospitals, but after going up and down the main road a couple of times I eventually found the right building. I brought many things to do because I wasn't sure how long I would have to be there. The surgery is done and then they have to process the tissue that was taken to make sure all the cancer is gone, so it could take multiple times. Luckily for me Dr. Summers got all of mine on the first try. The nurse was very pleased, and offered to show me the "wound". I wanted to see it because that stuff is very interesting to me, but I was very shocked by what I saw. The "wound" was about the size of a dime, and deep. I immediately started crying and couldn't think how my face would ever be the same. Dr. Summers discussed that he would need to make an incision on each side of the "wound" so he could bring the edges together and stitch it up. Now I have a huge bandage under my eye. The bandage is really annoying because my eye lashes close right on it. Dr. Summers says that I shouldn't have a very noticeable scar and that that area usually heals very well.
As of now I will have to ignore all the stares from strangers and I hope to never return again.


Ethan tells me I look like a pirate, what do you think?

6 comments:

Kat said...

A pirate is a good word, either that or my first thought was football player. ;) I'm sure the scar will be minor, if visible at all...and if it is at all visible, you will play it off like a movie star. You're gorgeous and a little scar under your eye won't detract from that AT ALL!! If anything, it will be a subtle reminder to ALWAYS wear a high SPF lotion. ;) Love ya! Chin up.

Breea said...

You look like the cutest pirate I have every seen! I am glad everything went ok and I am sure the scar will be small. You are adorable and with your new long beautiful hair (that I am way jealous of!) no one will even be paying attention.

Aaron said...

No one will notice. When you're with me they are all staring at me wondering, "why in the world is she with that fat slob?" :)

You'll always be beautiful.

Deltha Nelson said...

I'm just so glad that there are procedures now that can take care of these things before they turn into something terrible. Your temporary pirate/football player look will be a good memory in time to come.

Unknown said...

Alice, I am so glad that you are on top of things like that! You don't know how many moms I meet that just shrug off sunscreen! (for themselves and their kids, just to be tan!) It drives me crazy!!! :D
It is always scary to deal with any surgical procedure, but I am sure your doctors took good care of you :D

Funny story: I don't know if you remember me having a tumor removed from behind my ear right before I started at ASU, anyways before they could close it up they had to leave this straw like thing so it could drain (I know, gross!) anyways because of where it was located they couldn't get tape to keep the bandage in place so they basically had to do this funny looking gauze wrap around my head plus the huge bandage it was holding in place. Well, I had freshman orientation the next day(that ASU said I couldn't miss) well, you can imagine how mortified I was to go looking like some kind of mummy gauze freak! :D I tried to hide under a big hat, but I eventually had to take it off and got a lot of stares! Not fun then, but funny story now, right ;) Keep taking care of yourself :D

J. said...

Adriana, your story was so funny. I remember you in that big hat!

Don't worry Alice you won't even be able to see the scar. I'm glad they go it all. Love you