Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Chores

I think one of the worst things about growing up is cleaning the house. When I was young the only time I had chores was on Saturday morning. My mom would try to make things fun for us. She would have a job jar, or something like that for us to pick jobs out of. Then she would turn on some music to get us going. Chores were done before the afternoon and all I had to think about was playing with my friend Denise.
Well times have changed. I am not a little girl anymore, there is no job jar, and it seems like the chores never get done before the afternoon. I vaccume and five seconds later there is dog hair sticking to Ethan's hands. I mop the kitchen floor and then we eat lunch, and half of Ethan's ends up on the floor. What is a mom to do. And don't even get me started about laundry. Sometimes I feel like I never really get anything done.
I talked to my friend Corene about my messy house and she told me what she does. I really liked it and so I am passing it on to all of you. She has a list of chores that need to be done and does at least one thing a day. This way you know that at least your toilets will be cleaned once a week and that the kitchen floor will get moped. I have also decided that I will try not to compare myself the all the OCD people out there who have emaculate homes and just be happy about the things that do get clean.
There is one thing that gets done every day though and that is the dishes. Ethan loves to help me unload the dishwasher. Maybe when he is older he will do the dishes for me, but that is probably wishful thinking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, chores suck, especially for you as a working parent. So you do what you have to do to maintain, and then don't stress about the rest--life is too short for that. Besides, a little dog hair and a few crumbs on the floor never hurt anyone!

JaRGen said...

Yeah, I totally hate doing chores too. It's a necessary evil I supose.

Unknown said...

that's a really good tip! Another friend of mine started Thursday night cleaning. They do the major chores on Thur, so they have all weekend to rest and have fun. (unfortunately Damond usually works thurs nights, so that doesn't work for us :( )
Does Aaron help you? Damond's pretty good about helping out and that helps alot! He just needs to get better at putting things away... right after he uses them :)