Monday, March 16, 2009

Stake Relief Society Women's Conference

This past Saturday I was able to attend the Harrisville Women's Conference. It was very uplifting. I was able to hear from inspired speakers. One of our speakers was Sister Linda Gubler. I truly believe that she was speaking directly to me. She talked about the gifts that we receive every day, and how sometimes we choose not to open them because we don't like the wrapping or the ribbon. She talked a lot about not living in the past, or continually looking to the future, but living in the "Present". Today is the Gift...choose to open it and enjoy it!

"We are not women of the world, we are women of God, which means that we no longer have the luxury of spending our energy on anything that doesn't lead us and our families to Christ." Sheri Dew

"No man sinks under the burden of the day. It is only when we add yesterday's guilt to tomorrow's anxiety that our legs buckle and our backs break. How delightfully easy it is to live one day at a time." Corrie Ten Boom

She talked a lot about taking care of ourselves. How can we take care of the ones we love the most if we are not taking care of ourselves. We need to take care of ourselves emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Peace and happiness in life can only be achieved when we're secure with who we are...not when we are trying to meet the world's shifting values of what we ought to be.
Linda Gubler had a lady stand up and put an arm straight out. Then she had her say some positive things like: I am beautiful, I am smart. Then Linda tried to push the lady's arm down while telling her to resist. The lady was able to keep her arm up. Then they did it again, but she had the lady say negative things like: I am fat, I am ugly, I am dumb. Then she told the lady to resist her and the lady wasn't able to. It was very interesting. Linda told us that we need to say positive things to ourselves every day even if we don't always feel that way.
I wish that everyone could have been there with me. May we all try to live in the moment, and let those closest to us know how much we care about them.

2 comments:

Carolee said...

Lucky you! Sounds like a great speaker. Maybe we can get her down our way someday!

Grandma S

Breea said...

I have the biggest problem with living in the future and always planning too much and worrying to much! I hate this and am trying to work on it so thanks for the inspirational quotes!